Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Brick Buildings; St.John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Most everything is built on a hill in this city; The thing I found interesting about St.John's is how buildings delt with the grade change. In the Canadian climate, brick doesn't do well at grade (at the ground) because moisture causes it to deteriorate. Many buildings in St.John's have a built up foundation in stone (granite works well in Canada), and brickwork above. This is most visible in the exaggerated bottom example where a small structure built on a severe hill becomes more stone foundation/basement than actual brick building on top. Satisfying.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I was wondering if I could use two of your photographs for my visual effects project...I would like to just incorporate a brick building in the background. Please email me at crisxxtina@gmail.com. Thank you!

-Cristina

ty.ro said...

Of course, they're all yours. I'd be happy to see what you do when you're finished.